She’s over it.
This has been her mood most of the day. Can’t say I don’t blame her.
Today has been a lot.
I’m going to break it down in bullet points and hope I get it all:
- her platelets were high enough overnight that they gave her Motrin
- fever broke around 4am and has not returned
- blood began coming out of her NG Tube this morning which brought on a whole new series of concerns
- her CBC showed a downward trend of Hgb (coupled with the NG Tube blood, this had us checking for an active bleed)
- she started the day with and EKG and x-ray
- her heart rate has been great without the fever, but we’ve been chasing her respiratory rate all day
- still on a nose cannula to give her a bit of supplemental oxygen
- had a consult with GI team
- received more blood
- will get IVIG tonight
Of course, there was a lot going on between each of these events, but this were the “biggest” parts of our day.
In addition to:
- we identified her infection as the same one she had in October
- her hemoglobin responded well to the blood
- we yanked the NG Tube
Why the last one?
GI thinks the blood, nausea, and vomiting are most likely due to the NG Tube aggravating the inside of her stomach.
So, we pulled it to see if things improve (it’s also the least invasive, easiest solution to try first) and will start her on clear fluids by mouth.
Hopefully we see some improvement, otherwise we’ll be checking for GVHD (Graft vs Host Disease).
We all keep talking about how Avi likes to keep us on our toes.
She’s throwing us all kind of curve balls, but we’re hoping SHE catches a break soon.
Just doing our best to get her well and home soon-ish.